Mediums are professionals who recognize the presence of spirits around their clients. It is their job to accurately describe those who are trying to communicate to them from the spirit world. The spirits who make the greatest impact on us are those who were family role models, impacting either our lives or our family as a group. These role models are called matriarchs or patriarchs, and they exhibit at least ten common traits while they are alive. The traits are remembered after they are gone.
1) The first common trait is wisdom from life experience. This is usually found among senior family members who have witnessed many changes through the years. They have learned from the elders of their youth and from mistakes they made during their lives.
Their experience gives younger family members a reservoir of knowledge that is not available anywhere else. These individuals transcend the empirical and spirit worlds and can be guides for those they left behind. The advice and comfort they give is priceless while they are alive and continue to indicate support when they are in spirit.
2) The second trait is empathy. Matriarchs and patriarchs can relate to common issues in life such as relationships, health, and career issues. They understand your feelings because they faced similar ones in their lives. In addition, they can evaluate emotional situations accurately when others cannot.
3) Thirdly, these individuals are known for their loyalty to family members under all circumstances. They stand by those they love whether they are in the right or in the wrong. This does not mean they do not believe in consequences, but they give second chances after a difficult situation. Their love is unconditional to their family.
4) Flexibility and foresight are traits that are common with these individuals. They are openminded to new possibilities and taking reasonable risks. The knowledge that times change and new ideas allow for personal and material growth contributes to their stature. They are the ones who set examples for younger members of the family with their solid methodology of thinking.
5) The fifth trait is that these are loved ones are consistent and predictable. This is admirable because you know where you stand with them. There is no guessing where they stand on issues, and they exhibit good habits and behaviors. The sense of stability that they provide can be comforting and grounding.
6) The sixth trait is that they are simple, spiritual, and humble. These aspects demonstrate a depth of character and an inner strength that is reliable. Adversity is handled gracefully and with a measured response. They know the right time to act and when not to meddle in areas where they could do more harm than good.
7) A positive attitude and confidence are traits that make them pillars in a family no matter the situation. Their bright outlook brings up the confidence of the rest of the family when doom and gloom can easily take over. Their attitude inspires others to seek solutions for problems.
8) The eighth trait is honesty and knowing their place. The best matriarchs and patriarchs do not interfere with those they advise. They give their opinions if they have one and then allow for the ultimate decision to be made by the person asking for advice.
9) Some families are lucky to have more than one elder who can serve in the role of being a wise one, serving in the role of advisors to their descendants. They can mentor parents, young people, and extended family members when called upon for their expertise. Their contribution is invaluable because they give to those they love without any cost or hidden agenda.
10) Matriarchs and patriarchs are individuals who step up when needed even though they may be a senior. For example, they are willing to sacrifice by rearing their grandchildren if the parents of a child are unable to do so. The role they play in a child’s life can make the difference in whether or not that child receives a stable foundation. They are even known to slip you a extra few bucks if they have it and you need it!
Who are these special people?
These special folks can be older parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, or an ancestor who has reached legendary status in the family. They are all people who have proven their significance over time. They may have special talents such as matchmaking or an uncanny business acumen. Some families have a choice of people to ask when it comes to the different scenarios that life presents.
They are individuals who have suffered hardships and were able to overcome them by exhibiting character and the will to persevere. The difficulties they endured were significant ones. They may have lost everything and were able to rebuild their lives. Their stories provide hope for the rest of the family because they are a reference for them.
The people who lived during the Great Depression and World War II are often seen as matriarchs and patriarchs. This generation has been dubbed the greatest generation due to the obstacles they faced and their determination to overcome them. They were willing to sacrifice and place others before themselves to achieve a better life for themselves and secure a brighter future for their descendants.
Sometimes, personal heroes are not family members, but they are individuals who impact our lives through the special lives they have led. These individuals may be mentors such as teachers, ministers, coaches, employers, or friends. They may possess many of the traits that have been outlined; therefore, you may gravitate to them.
Today, it is difficult to identify leaders in the public eye who can be respected and honored because of the polarization of our society. Leadership, however, may be found close to home by remembering senior family members who impacted your life. These beloved family members imprint us for life.
A medium may notice them coming in from the spirit world immediately during a session. It is not unusual for a client to become emotional when they make their presence known. They are closest to you in times of crisis in your life.
Not Perfect Individuals
Matriarchs and patriarchs are not perfect. They have their faults, and these traits cannot be ignored. Generational attitudes and life experience can influence the perspectives of these otherwise great people.
You may be able to recognize some traits but not others that have been identified as common for them. Reaching the level of a wise person is not necessarily 100%. Some of their attitudes may be remembered as comical while others should be condemned.
It is the overriding character of a family member that is admired by their descendants. It is the realization that imperfection does not cancel the good traits for which these memorable characters were best remembered. They reach the level of matriarch or patriarch because of their best traits.
Other memorable family members
You may have family members who exemplify the opposite traits of those that are positive role models. These individuals can do great harm to a family if action is not taken to reduce their influence. It is difficult to gain control, clarity, and bring stability to a family when reckless or inappropriate behavior is standard.
It is unfortunate when children are involved, and the principal role models in their lives are not acting in the best interests of the family unit. These children are often doomed to repeat the same behavior when they are in a position of authority with their spouses and offspring. The exceptions to this are people who have the foresight to seek stability and other positive actions for a productive life.
When a medium recognizes these individuals from spirit in a reading, a client may ask them to leave. These irresponsible people may want forgiveness or acknowledge their poor behavior while they were alive. It becomes the choice of the client to forgive or not to forgive.
Families with famous personalities in them revere their lives, but they are not necessarily a matriarch or patriarch. They have legendary talents that are admired, but they may not be known for any for their nurturing personalities. These folks are remembered for the extraordinary achievements they attained to gain recognition alone.
Mediums who provide verifiable information to a client about a person in spirit give them a sense of connection and security. The spiritual presence of a role model they knew while the person was in physical form allows them to heal from the grief of loss. Sometimes, a recognized ancestor arrives during a reading who made an impact on their family but does not have the personal element associated with them. The continued presence of an important person can give you confidence to persevere while enduring issues in your life.
Memories of someone who exhibited the qualities of a wise individual are lifelong references. They can give you admirable personal codes of behavior that transcend time. These are individuals that you may designate as a matriarch or a patriarch because they remain bigger than life to the entire family.
Their personalities and behaviors made them forces of nature that families can memorialize for generations. The memories of them may not be important to others, but to a family, they continue to give stability to their descendants. They continue to be supportive of their loved ones by showing up in readings.
The road maps given to you from the elders of your family allows you to recall their character and to ask yourself, “What would they do in this situation I’m facing in life?” The answers may give insight and comfort.
Family members who did not act well or who exhibited destructive behavior may give you a sense of what not to do when dealing with adversity. The lesson of their life experience is valuable because it provides knowledge of the consequences of bad decision making. The references of both types of behavior can assist you in making good decisions.
Finally, the use of information from your ancestors is good, but it is not what they did that is important today. You must be the navigator of your life’s direction. The traits they exhibited are worth adopting so their goodness will continue to transcend time.
John Cappello is a natural psychic medium who has been in practice for over 25 years. For more information or to set up a consultation go to his website.